The idea of having all of your technology needs hosted and forgotten about for a simple monthly fee is great; but don’t forget to consider the real costs when moving systems.
Any change or move of technology (cloud or not) should be planned and implemented carefully as any loss of time, data or functionality could cost a lot more than many years’ worth of technology costs.
Businesses rely on systems. We are not talking about computer systems; but things like processes, staff/team knowledge, procedures etc. Without the systems in place; the business most likely would not function, be worthless and maybe even go broke.
Below are my top 10 tips for things to consider before or when moving to the cloud:
- List all software applications that every staff member uses and ensure they will operate in the cloud or there is a suitable replacement application;
- Do you have sufficient internet speed, data allowances and redundancy should the internet go down?
- What level of support is provided with the solution and is the support in the same time zone?
- What level of training is required?
- Put together a cloud migration project plan detailing peoples responsibilities, dates/times, and costs;
- Check if your current systems are compatible in terms of hardware and software specifications;
- Check the current features on software applications in the business as cheaper offerings usually have reduced functionality;
- Don’t under estimate the migration time to upload data (especially if it’s going overseas);
- Consider the pros and cons to ensure the decision is right;
- Get advice from an expert.
Following the 10 tips above will certainly put you on the right track when next considering the migration of some or all of your I.T. services into the cloud.
Often the right solution can be a mixture of products and vendors. Ask us at EHW Tech for the right advice which has been gained from our proactive research and development and the many installations performed each year.